Employees and self-employed persons who have lost their jobs and income as a result of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the economy, particularly but not solely, the tourism sector will receive $150 every two weeks for a 12 week period.
Persons who would have been unemployed prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and are now experiencing even more difficult circumstances, will receive $100 every two weeks for a 12-week period. These persons will also be referred to the Ministry of Human Development for consideration for further assistance through the social programs operated by that ministry.
Individuals who can benefit from the Covid-19 Unemployment Relief Program include:
- Tour guides
- Office Staff
- Cleaners/Janitors/Room Attendants
- Kitchen and Dining Room Staff
- Bus/Van Drivers
- Store clerks
- Construction workers connected to tourism related projects
- Border point and free zone workers
Independent operators such as:
- Freelance guides
- Hair braiders
- Taxi operators
- Border point and free zone workers
- Others which may be added
- Persons who are not Belizean nationals
- Persons laid off in March 2020 by the Belize Tourism Board
- Persons under 18 years of age
- Persons receiving benefits from other government or social security programs – no double dipping
HOW LONG WILL THE RELIEF PROGRAM LAST?
The temporary Relief payments will be made every two weeks for a period of 12 weeks, unless the person becomes employed before the expiration of such period, at which time the payment would stop.
HOW WILL THE PAYMENTS BE MADE?
Payment will be made by Social Security Board on behalf of Government directly into the bank account of the beneficiary or via a prepaid (or other prefunded) card that can be topped up.
WHY HAVE I NOT RECEIVED A MESSAGE?
Messages were initially sent out to applicants who were successful. Now you are able to check the status of your application by using the Application Status Check function on this page. (link to the app here). You submit your SSN and an optional Phone Number and the status of your application will be displayed to you.
After submitting my Social Security Number and/or phone number, what does it mean?
- "The Social Security Number Submitted is invalid."
This message means the Social Security Number submitted is not in our records or an application does not exist with this Social Security Number. Maybe you entered the number wrong, please try again. If you keep seeing this message, please contact 621-3618, 621-3400 or 604-4645 and ask for assistance or try submitting an application with the correct information.
- "Your application was approved but there was an error in the banking information you provided, please contact the following number for further assistance. Contact numbers are 621-3618, 621-3400 or 604-4645."
This message means your application was approved for payment. There was an error in the banking information provided, we ask that you please contact the number below for assistance. Please contact 621-3618, 621-3400 or 604-4645.
- "Payment has been successfully deposited in the bank account provided at registration."
This message means funds have been successfully deposited to the account provided during Registration. Please check with your bank or credit union if you have not withdrawn your payment yet.
- "Your application has been submitted for processing."
This message means your application is under review.
- "Your application was approved and you will be able to collect your payment soon."
This message means your application was successful and has been forwarded to the Social Security Board for payment to the Bank or Credit Union account you provided at registration.
- "Your funds have been successfully deposited to a prepaid card. It can be picked up at the ________ SSB Branch."
This message means your application was successful and has been deposited in a prepaid card that can be picked up at SSB Branch indicated in the message.